[su_heading size=”15″ margin=”30″]Ten Things Must Know About How To Start Getting Upwork Jobs [/su_heading]
Upwork is a global market place where freelancers and employers work together remotely. American based Company initially started its operation in the year 2003 with the name of oDesk, but after the merger with elance in 2015, it is rebranded as Upwork worldwide. Before Getting Upwork Jobs you need to get account approval first.
Till 2019, Upwork has more than ten million registered freelancers, with around five million registered clients across the world. Upwork is the biggest online marketplace after Fiverr.
If you are a hardcore designer, Architect, Industrial Designer, Product manufacturers, expert web developer, and struggling from 9 to 5 am a job, then getting Upwork Jobs can be the best alternative for you.
If you have some professional dream to achieve and struggling from finance, then you can fulfill your dream by working from home. Upwork jobs should be your first choice while working from home if you are a skilled person. Even some of the time, you may find projects from Fortune 500 companies in the world. Yes, it can be an excellent experience for you.
· There is a flat commission charge of 20% for fixed-price projects depending on the payment transactions. So on every payment transaction, you need to pay 20% as a commission to Upwork.
Recent Upwork changes
Currently, there is no free membership plan from Upwork. Even if you have a free account, then you need to buy connects at the price of $0.15 each. Previously it was free. Connects are just like points or coins which need to bid any project on Upwork. Prior most of the projects require two connects to apply, but now you need to have four, six, or even eight connects to apply projects. The current move is not welcome by most of the freelancers, clients, and agencies. At the client end, you need to put your job as a featured job to attract more freelancers. Previously you can invite as many freelancers as you can. But now you can invite up to three freelances only. The cost of the project to make it feature is $29.99. It is super costly now.
1) How to Get registered with Upwork?
The first fore step is to get registered with upwork.com. You can log with your valid email or Facebook id. I recommend you to register with your mail id and do double verification with your mail-id. If you have skype id, then also put details of skype in your profile so that the client can approach directly through your skype id. You need to have a valid mobile number for future payment transactions and one-time password verification.
In Dashboard, you get two symbols one of chat and another one for notification in the right-hand corner side of the website. Where you can chat with your client and get the latest information about your account.
Upwork provides separate unique profile id to each freelancer. You can create an agency account and client account in a single platform. In the Dashboard, you can also search for Upwork jobs with the help of the above toolbar. This toolbar is also helpful in searching for freelancers for your project too. During account registration, you need to provide accurate details of personal and professional information.
2) Upload your professional details to complete your profile
You can’t target all skills at the same time. Better start with one or two skills, then once your account is older, add later more. Expertise should be relevant to your profile. Upwork seeks two payment gateway details for your account. It is mandatory.
You can use a credit card or PayPal account as a primary payment account. The primary account is an account in which you pay to Upwork for paying membership charges and other related fees. The secondary account is an account where you can withdraw money from the Upwork once you paid by the client.
If you are US citizen, then you also need to submit a W9 form for tax deductions and report. In a Secondary account, you need to put your bank account, wire transfer, Payoneer, and PayPal details for withdrawal. Each transaction about some additional charges which is charged by payment Gateway Company. It charges only 20% commission from each sale, which you paid by the client.
You also need to upload your unique identity numbers; government-issued identity cards, and other essential information details in Upwork. It will increase your credibility.
3) Upload Professional Profile photo
You can upload your professional photo as well as the introduction video of your professional skill set. The photo should be neat and clean and clearly show your picture professionally. You can also put your organization logo if you registered Upwork as an agency account. Upwork allows you to put your company website address in your profile. Upwork has one unique feature where you can add featured team members in your profile. Here the client offers the fixed and hourly based project to the freelancer. The tracker can track hourly based jobs.
4) Upload Stunning Portfolio
The portfolio is a vital tool to grab projects on any of the freelancing websites. The portfolio should be relevant and must be matching with your skillset and experience. Apart from your portfolio you also prepare a good business proposal for your clients. This proposal can be multiple depending upon the skills which you targeting. A good proposal is key to the success of freelancing websites. Here you can see a few of my examples of a business proposal.
If you have a working video of your project then it is more appreciable. You can also put these portfolio details in your external drive link and once you ready to send the proposal simple add this link in your proposal. You can create a stunning work portfolio with the help of grab.com and coroflot.com.
There are many more websites who can help you to create an amazing portfolio. If you complete one or two projects on Upwork then try to save these project details on the computer. With these details, you can create your portfolio too.
5) Select a Membership plan
You can try with a free membership account in a freelancer. And once you got some payment, then switch to a paid membership account. In a Free membership account, you have to purchase connects at the rate of $0.15 each. But in a paid membership account, you get several unique and rollover options. Upwork never count any connects if you get an invitation from the client.
Here is no feature of rollback in the free membership account. Upwork offers monthly paid membership plan for just $14.99. Most of the skill examinations are free of cost. Open for both paid and free members. Whereas in paid membership plans, you can join Q/a sessions, search booster, and free skill test. If you are a blogger and looking for content writing projects in English, then you must pass the English test on Upwork.
6) How to bid the project?
Bidding is an art of success in a freelancing career. If you have a relevant portfolio, stunning business proposal, and excellent communication, then nobody can stop you from grabbing a project on any of the freelancing websites. Once the project appears on your Dashboard, you can click on it and send your bid proposal to the client. You can bid projects while searching for the Upwork Search engine. The same process is applicable if you are looking for freelancers.
7) How to manage during Dispute?
Freelancer has limitations to do with much during Dispute. If the hourly price projects, then freelancers must be paid at any circumstances. During the fixed price job, freelancers need to meet the deadline and project requirements.
If he/she fails to deliver the project at the right time with client expectation, then the client may give me another chance to meet his project expectation and offer you revision, but one more time failure leads to a refund of payment to the client from escrow.
It is advisable that if you fail to meet the project expectation, then return the escrow payment to the client. Until and unless the client never put lousy feedback on your profile. In this way, your profile never hampers for future upcoming projects.
If you successfully meet the expectation of the client, then you can ask the client to provide useful feedback at the end of the experience.
In Upwork, there is a provision to seek automatically paid milestones once the project started. In the mid of a large project, you can seek automatically paid milestones after the seven days of work. For this, you need to mention in the contract during the bidding phase.
8) What is NDA? You Must Know it
NDA stands for a Non-disclosure agreement. This agreement signed between freelancers and clients, thereby binding freelancers not to disclose any confidential information related to a project.
It’s a copyright issue for the client, and you need to be very careful before signing any NDA. Any leakage of confidential information from your end binds you to undergo legal proceedings. This case Upwork will also ban your account.
9) What is the Escrow account?
Most of the freelancers and clients have one common question in their mind.
How I get paid? And what to do if freelancers fail to deliver the project on time?
Escrow is a method used when two parties (Freelancers & clients) are in the process of completing a transaction (Projects), and there is uncertainty over whether one party or another will be able to fulfill their obligations. Contexts that use escrow include Internet transactions, banking, intellectual property, real estate, mergers and acquisitions, and law, and many more.
- Escrow is the use of a third party, which holds an asset or funds before they transferred from one party to another. Here freelancer has an Escrow account in which client money is held and release once the project completed in due time.
- The third-party holds the funds until both parties have fulfilled their contractual requirements. In case of dispute, the freelancer has the right to refund the payment to the client if a freelancer unable to meet the requirement.
- Escrow is associated with internet transactions, but it can apply to any situation where funds will pass from one party to another. Freelancer also needs not to worry whether he paid or not. The client already funded the project fee into escrow. Once a freelancer completes the task, that payment transferred into his/her account.
- Never start your work if the client fails to deposit funds in escrow.
10) Never do on Upwork?
Never looser your patience even during the Dispute. Your behavior and patience play a vital role in the online market place. Never disclose your personal information in your bid. Never try to ditch the client. Never try to start a conversation with the client apart from the freelancing website. It leads to permanently banned from your account.
You must use one single account on one unique IP address. Multiples account holding another reason to ban your account on freelancing market place. Never do incentive methods to get maximum positive feedback on your profile. Upwork Jobs have various advantages and disadvantages as listed below.
1) Upwork has a user-friendly website which makes freelancer and clients work in transparency environment.
2) Upwork is a marketplace; you can register an account as a freelancer as a client and even as an agency in a single platform.
3) Initially, freelancers can bid up to 30 projects per month from the free membership account, but now it is chargeable.
4) Upwork Jobs work with a Credit points system. Usually, two credit points are required to apply for a single job. Recently Upwork launched a $15 monthly membership program for the freelancer.
6) Transparent and fast source of payment. The Upwork app is also available for Android and Mac platforms. You can talk to your client or freelancers while lying on the bed due to its amazing App.
7) Known for the diversity of job skills with good quality of projects. More than 300+ skills are available to work.
8) Best websites for every kind of skilled freelancers. They get a response quickly.
9) Most of the clients have a payment verified account with project history details that impress freelancers to work with them.
4) Upwork deals with the long-term project, which can be in hourly or fixed-price jobs. For hourly jobs, you can install a timer on your desktop, then as long as you continue working on the project, the timer will record, and according to that, your payment will release.
1) The overall Competition is high. Most of the time, it’s tough even to register a new account in Upwork. Due to high Competition, Upwork not approved all newcomer accounts.
2) It requires skilled, talented freelancers. Talent is the primary key to get success quickly in Upwork.
3) Initially, you need to have the patience to get a response from the website.
4) Now its services are chargeable, which may affect newcomers to join.
5) Your profile and work portfolio should be outstanding. You can share your personal contact details with your clients if they ask for, but Upwork doesn’t allow any transactions outside the website.
I know a few designers really making more than $ 1000 from Upwork Jobs per month.